Re: [Aspell-user] Selecting dictionary with the C interface

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] Selecting dictionary with the C interface
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:23:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bill Moseley wrote:

> At 08:37 PM 08/26/02 -0400, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> >> Is there (could there be) a way to directly select the dictionary file from
> >> within the C interface?
> >
> >You should be able to now by setting the "master" option.
>
> Ah, yes that now works.  That makes things easier.  Thanks.

Your welcome.

> >PWLI are no longer used.  Please read the manual for Aspell 0.50.
>
> I'm not clear.  They still work, though -- at least I'm using one and it's
> locating the dictionary.  Still documented at section 5.7 AWLI files.
>
> Or is there something else that I missed?

files ending is .awli (renamed from .pwli) are still recognized but the
dictionaries distributed with Aspell no longer use them.  Instead Aspell
recognizes the dictionaries directly based on the way they are named.

> In the Text::Aspell perl module I added a $speller->list_dictionaries
> method (since you have example/list-dicts.c).  I'm just returning an array
> of dictionary names formatted as:
>
>   [name]:[code]:[jargon]:[size]:[module]
>
> for example:
>
>   en:en::60:default
>   en_CA:en_CA::60:default
>   en_CA-w-accents:en_CA:w-accents:60:default
>   en_GB:en_GB::60:default
>   en_GB-w-accents:en_GB:w-accents:60:default
>   en_US:en_US::60:default
>   en_US-w-accents:en_US:w-accents:60:default
>
> I could of returned an array of hash references, but people can always use
> split().
>
> I guess I don't understand the difference between entry->name and
> entry->code.  They are the same for each of those.

Look closer en_US-w-accents != en_US.

Name is the complete name of the dictionary which can be used to directly
select a dictionary.  Code is the language/region code only.  Many times
they will be the same but not always.  Have a look at the French
dictionary for a better example.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org