Re: [Aspell-user] considering word in master dictionary misspelled?

From: Bill Crockett
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] considering word in master dictionary misspelled?
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 18:10:36 +1000

> From: Karl Berry
> Subject: [Aspell-user] considering word in master dictionary misspelled?
> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 21:17:44 GMT
>
> The word "wold" (wolds, wold's) is in the Aspell master English
> dictionary (aspell -d en dump master | aspell expand | grep wold).
>
> I would like to consider this word as a misspelling, i.e., as if it were
> not in the master dictionary, so that
>  echo wold | aspell list
> would output "wold" instead of being silent.  (In my world, "wold"
> is always a misspelling of "would", not the Old English word for a wood.)
>
> Short of dumping all the words, removing the wold variants, and making a
> new custom dictionary, is it possible?  For example, is there some way
> in a personal dictionary, or some other file, to "override" (excise,
> remove) an existing master dictionary entry?
>
> I looked in the manual and did various searches to no avail.  One person
> with essentially the same question did end up making a new dictionary:
> https://ryanveach.com/146/aspell-custom-dictionary/
>
> Any info appreciated.  --thanks, karl.

I have the same problem.

Using the British dictionary -d en_GB, the US spelling of "color" came up
with a choice with a word called "colorr".  I have never heard of it.
Looked it up on the Web and found nothing.  What does it mean and why is in
there?

Using a hex editor, I could find no words in the dictionaries.  I was
thinking of deleting that word to see if it would not show.

My word processor, Firefox spell checker, Chrome spell checker all marked
the word colorr as incorrect.

We need some way to filter out, override, remove an unwanted word in the
existing master dictionary entry.