[AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Cleaning functionality
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 09:53:33 +0100

* Reiner Steib (2006-02-05) writes:

> On Sun, Feb 05 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> I decided to use regular expressions for matching suffixes of files to
>> be deleted in order to be able to support stuff like makeinfo
>> splitting info files or texi2html splitting HTML files.  The resulting
>> customization options may not be easily understandable by users not
>> familiar with regular expressions.  Consequently we could provide the
>> option to use a list of suffixes instead of a regular expression and
>> use such a list in the "easy" cases like (La)TeX and ConTeXt modes as
>> default.
>
> A compromise might be to use a list of regexps.

Hm, not a bad option.  My concerns are that you will have to write a
lot of "\."'s for the extension delimiters and "\'"'s for matching
their ends.  And if you fail to do that correctly, mismatches will
happen which would be rather fatal when it comes to deleting files.

In any case I am thinking about optionally opening a window which
displays the files to be deleted so that the user can check if there
is anything she wants to keep.

Additionally (not so much related to the above) I changed `TeX-clean'
in a way that it will delete intermediate files if being called
without argument and both intermediate and output files if being
called with a prefix argument.  Consequently, in `TeX-command-list'
there will be both a "Clean" and a "Clean All" entry.

> Or use
> `custom-split-regexp-maybe' (like in `gnus-visible-headers').

But this will only work for very simple regexps without grouping.

ELISP> (custom-split-regexp-maybe "\\.\\(foo\\|bar\\)")

--
Ralf