Re: bug#7053: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: bug#7053: Reftex is fully broken

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: bug#7053: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: bug#7053: Reftex is fully broken
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:24:52 +0200

* Stefan Monnier (2010-09-21) writes:

> I think in the end, the core reason for the problem was a bug in the new
> up-list code (it just silently did nothing when reaching BOB), which
> I've just fixed.  I also additionally installed the patch below which
> circumvents the bug and also avoids slowing things down unnecessarily.

Thanks, I'll eventually add it to the externally maintained RefTeX when
I merge the other changes from the version of RefTeX in Emacs.

I can also confirm that the breakage only happened with tex-mode.el and
not with AUCTeX because AUCTeX does not set `forward-sexp-function'.

By the way, RefTeX has had two separate places where it has been
maintained for over three years now and those code bases diverged quite
a bit.  Eventually they should be synchronized again.  However, since
Emacs has been released more frequently during this time (compared to
the years before) I don't think there is a large advantage anymore in
having a separate repository for independent releases of RefTeX.  So I
contemplate giving up on the separate repository and maintaining it in
the Emacs repository.  But this should likely be discussed in another
thread.

--
Ralf