Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex (was Re: Type

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex (was Re: Typeset LaTeX files with non-ascii file name in TeXLive 2018)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 11:00:32 +0200

jfbu <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Keita
>
> Le 06/10/2019 à 17:43, Ikumi Keita a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> It seems that the latest TeXLive 2019 update broke preview-latex.  I
>> quote a failure log of the latest pdflatex and a successful log of the
>> pdflatex with the latest update reverted, at the last of this message.
>>
>> At first, I thought that it is only related with non-ascii file names,
>> but it turned out to be not so.  Just a plain file name of "abc.tex"
>> fails with the same error.
>>
>> Is this common for others?  If so, I suspect that the change in the
>> internal of latex invalidated "\detokenize" that preview-latex uses to
>> input files with non-ascii names successfully.
>>
>> I haven't tested other engines (xelatex and lualatex).
>>
>> I'm afraid that we have to delay the release of AUCTeX 12.2, due to this
>> problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ikumi Keita
>
> The latest LaTeX \input allows spaces in filenames. We see that preview-latex
> invocation is with added spaces at both ends of the filename. It can
> be confirmed with quick testing that \input{ abc.tex } used to work
> but now does not.
>
> Do you remember why the extra spaces added for preview-latex
> invocation?

My guess is historical accident?  Plain TeX needs \input abc.tex and I
don't remember changing that, so likely somebody else did while
retaining the braces?

Of course most of the time I try to deflect blame, it turns out I was
the culprit.

Also I don't quite know whether or not "preamble caching" in the form of
mylatex.ltx use could be relevant.

--
David Kastrup