AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: AUCTeX tool bar on emacs built with gtk3
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 17:25:41 +0900

Hi all,

When emacs is built with gtk3, AUCTeX tool bar looks dumb in my opinion.
This is how it looks like for me:

All icons are accompanied by text labels, so they occupy too wide widths.
In particular, (La)TeX related icons are pushed away rightward of
visible area of the emacs frame, so they aren't accessible.

First of all, is this situation common for others, or peculiar to me due
to my personal configuration? I continue assuming the former.

If I widen the emacs frame horizontally, the (La)TeX icons appear but
the vertical separator bar looks ugly because there's a text label
"Separator" next to it. In addition, when I hover the mouse pointer over
that bar and text, a hollow rectangle is displayed as tooltip help. This
isn't smart.

I'd propose to apply the attached patch to address these issues. This
attempts to disable the text labels for tool bar icons and use gtk
native separator bar in AUCTeX tool bar. With this patch, the tool bar
looks like this:

What do you think about this idea?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita