Re: On the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global and TeX-auto-g

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: On the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global and TeX-auto-global.
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 15:14:46 +0800

On Sun, Jul 4, 2021 at 1:58 PM Mandar Mitra <mandar.mitra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote (Sun, Jul 04, 2021 at 11:10:55AM +0800):
> > This way, the above command won't need root privilege. But based on my
> > later tries, it seems that there is no need to run the above command
> > at all, and auctex already can give wonderful and rather extensive
> > completion results with its initial configuration. To be frank, I'm
> > still not sure on the usage and function of TeX-auto-generate-global
> > and TeX-auto-global [1].
> >
> > Any hints will be highly appreciated.
>
> From tex-site.el:
>
> (defcustom TeX-auto-global
>     (if (file-writable-p "/usr/local/var/auctex") "/usr/local/var/auctex"
> "~/.emacs.d/auctex")

But I don't have all the folders above:

werner@X10DAi:~$ ~/.emacs.d/auctex
bash: /home/werner/.emacs.d/auctex: No such file or directory
werner@X10DAi:~$ /usr/local/var/auctex
bash: /usr/local/var/auctex: No such file or directory

> Also, you probably have set TeX-parse-self to t as recommended in the basic
> setup.

Yes. See all settings below on my Ubuntu 20.04 box:

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t ; parse on load
      TeX-auto-save t  ; parse on save
      ;; use hidden dirs for auctex files
      TeX-auto-local ".auctex-auto"
      TeX-style-local ".auctex-style"
      TeX-source-correlate-mode t
      TeX-source-correlate-method 'synctex
      ;; don't start the emacs server when correlating sources
      TeX-source-correlate-start-server nil
      ;; automatically insert braces after sub/superscript in math mode
      TeX-electric-sub-and-superscript t
      ;; just save, dont ask me before each compilation
      TeX-save-query nil)

> I guess this combination explains why things "just work"?

I am still not very clear about its working mechanism. Any more hints?

> -mandar

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China