Re: Cosmetic patch for AUCTeX

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: Cosmetic patch for AUCTeX
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 19:39:38 +0100

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

>> The patch below removes the fallback code for when `nadvice` is not
>> available, replacing it with a dependency on `nadvice-0.3` (which
>> could be replaced by a dependency on Emacs-24.4).
>
> Thanks, Mr. Janitor!  The patch looks good to me and its definitely fine
> for our ELPA releases.  However, what about our standard tarball
> releases?  There, Package-Requires has no meaning and we'd inevitable
> need to bump the emacs version requirement to 24.4.  That's basically
> fine with me (24.4 came out in 2014) but requires some discussion.

I agree, Stefan's patch does make sense (thank you Stefan).  OTOH, we
had a strong opinion on "No External Dependencies" (until now) and the
change above would change that.

> Is there any good reason to stick to emacs 24.3 compatibility (at least
> for the upcoming AUCTeX 13.1 release)?

My vote is not to change many things (besides the preview bug), get
AUCTeX 13.1 through the door and after that, bump required Emacs version
to 25.1.  Maybe that will also open the door to cl-lib.  Until now, we
use only macros from it and nothing at run-time.

Best, Arash