Speeding up AUCTeX's parsing

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Speeding up AUCTeX's parsing
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 19:30:20 +0200

Hi all,

I was playing with the regexp's in AUCTeX and before coming to the
actual thing I wanted to test, I took an arbitraty, not so complex .tex
file (around 1180 lines) and eval'ed these two forms:

  (let ((gc-cons-threshold 800000))
    (benchmark-run 15 (TeX-normal-mode)))

  (let ((gc-cons-threshold most-positive-fixnum))
    (benchmark-run 15 (TeX-normal-mode)))

The results are:

  (0.984757 13 0.517633)

  (0.564401 0 0.0)

Preventing GC has a large impact on parsing.  I'd like to hear from
people with large, complex files if they could also run the test on them
and report back their findings.  And is there any major restriction why
we shouldn't use this in order to speed up parsing?  We already do

  (let* ((gc-cons-threshold 10000000) ...

in `TeX-search-files-by-type'.

Best, Arash