Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: AUCTeX and "builtin latex mode" integration
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 14:56:13 -0400

>>> 2. ConTeXt modes
>> In the case of `ConTeXt-mode`, maybe the better option is to make the
>> submodes be minor modes?
> Hmm. Some difficulties for that idea come up to my mind:

Well, I did say "maybe" :-)

> 2. As they are minor mode, en-mode and nl-mode can be turned on at the
>    same time.

Not necessarily.  E.g. they can share the same (buffer-local) variable,
like `overwrite-mode-binary` and  `overwrite-mode-textual`.

> 3. An entry of the form
> mode: ConTeXt-en
>    in file local variable no longer works.

Yeah, you can't name the minor mode `ConTeXt-en-mode` because that needs
to be a function which enables `ConTeXt-mode` as well as the "en" minor mode.
Tho maybe you can have a hack whereby the `ConTeXt-en-mode` minor mode
calls `ConTeXt-mode` if the buffer is not yet using that mode
[ And there's that "maybe" again.  ]

>> In `tex-mode` we've tried various approaches over the years, none of
>> which are elegant :-(
> Now I arrived at another approach without advice which makes use of
> `major-mode-remap-alist'.  How about this idea?

That is indeed part of the motivation behind `major-mode-remap-alist`,
tho I haven't yet tried to push that use to Emacs's `master`.

        Stefan