Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: [Announcement] Feature branch merged
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2024 21:45:33 +0100

Hi Keita,

Ikumi Keita <ikumi@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

> I've merged the feature branch "fix-mode-names-overlap" into the master
> branch. The changes are described in the CHANGES file quoted below.

Many thanks for working on this feature and making it happen.  I tested
it briefly and no problems until now.  I have one question though
reg. activation of AUCTeX modes now.

>         − The compatibility with the former mode names with respect to
>           invoking the major mode are retained.
>
>             1. Former modes which overlap with built-in modes, namely
>                ‘plain-tex-mode’, ‘latex-mode’, ‘doctex-mode’,
>                ‘texinfo-mode’ and ‘tex-mode’ are handled by
>                redirections; the same override advices as before are
>                continued to used for Emacs <29 while
>                ‘major-mode-remap-alist’ is used for Emacs 29 and later.
>                (Therefore, if there are user codes which call
>                ‘latex-mode’ directly, built-in ‘latex-mode’ runs instead
>                of AUCTeX ‘LaTeX-mode’ in Emacs 29 and later.)
>
>                These redirections still honor your customization to
>                ‘TeX-modes’ option.  Thus you are served by built-in
>                ‘plain-tex-mode’ and AUCTeX ‘LaTeX-mode’ if you exclude
>                ‘plain-tex-mode’ from ‘TeX-modes’.

One issue pointed out by users is/was that AUCTeX takes over the
standard LaTeX mode once installed; this can be circumvented by setting
`TeX-modes' accordingly.  Now people can also set
`major-mode-remap-alist', and I suspect with something like this:

  (setq major-mode-remap-alist '((latex-mode . latex-mode))

If so, should we document this more prominently, maybe under 1.2.4
'M-x LaTeX-mode RET'?

Again, many thanks for working on this.

Best, Arash

Footnotes: