Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Scrolling using scroll wheel on Xemacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Scrolling using scroll wheel on Xemacs
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:27:04 +0200

Franz Haeuslschmid <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Franz Haeuslschmid <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> This thread covers a problem with AUCTeX running under _XEmacs_. I
>>> have learnt that one no longer needs to explicitly load AUCTeX
>>> within XEmacs. The message I referred to even contains an excerpt
>>> from the info documentation of AUCTeX, which states that "AUCTeX
>>> and preview-latex should now be active by default". If I had
>>> written about (X)Emacs, my explanation would have been imprecise
>>> -- I guess -- but for XEmacs, it is still valid, isn't it?
>>
>> Yes and no.  AUCTeX never provided a package setup for XEmacs
>> previously, so it would be misleading to say that anything has
>> changed.  How and whether you need to specifically activate AUCTeX
>> in XEmacs has always been at the discretion of the XEmacs
>> packagers.
>
> Indeed, I was not aware of that, thank your for enlightening me.

Well, I was partly weaseling.  It had escaped my mind that AUCTeX
previously was not activated in XEmacs, since we _did_ activate
preview-latex by default.

But indeed there has been a change of recommended policy for all
involved platforms.  Since large parts of the documentation of AUCTeX
and preview-latex were kept mostly in sync, I can't rule out that the
documentation was faster than the code with following the policy.  In
fact I am not even sure that the code for creating a combined
AUCTeX/preview-latex XEmacs package already follows the documented
policy since the procedure has just recently been coded.  But it
certainly will before this is released.  Yes, it will mean that the
mere act of installing a Sumo tarball will replace the default mode of
XEmacs unless you start it with -no-site-file.  It is something that I
consider tolerable with the current mechanisms in place.

>> We will provide much more of a framework with AUCTeX 11.80, but
>> whether this gets picked up by the people actually wrapping up an
>> XEmacs package, will remain to be seen.
>
> Now I'm curious: is the version after AUCTeX 11.55 already 11.80?

Yes.  Quite many changes, and pretty thorough preview-latex
integration.  There is not much that is really important for AUCTeX 12
that is still remaining.

> Appendix B of the info docs provides an idea what will come, however
> not when it will come.  Is there a document that presents a planning
> of AUCTeX releases or are these issues buried in the downs of the
> AUCTeX mailing lists?

There, and in Appendix A in the CVS builds.