Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX Folding: Feature Request

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX Folding: Feature Request
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 10:51:09 +0200

* Joachim Schlosser (2005-06-03) writes:

>>>Second, wouldn't it be nice to process the textsu[b|per]script in the
>>>same way it is the case in math mode for "^" and "_"?

>> Font locking currently highlights the contents of a macro argument
>> along with its braces.  At least for me it would look awkward to have
>> this raised or lowered altogether.  I know this is the same in math
>> mode but there you don't have a long macro in front of the raised or
>> lowered content.  We might think about this once we support
>> highlighting of arguments only.
>
> Ah, there is a misunderstanding here, perhaps my suggestion was to
> diffuse: I think of a mixture between the font locking thing and
> folding. So X\textsubscript{foobar} would be replaced with X{foobar}
> (with {foobar} lowered) only when folding is active.

When I implemented tex-fold.el I decided that apart from the face for
fixed display strings (e.g. when "\footnote{...}" is replaced by
"[f]") it will do no font locking of its own.  For all the cases where
the display string includes text of the original buffer (e.g. when
"\emph{foo}" is replaced by "foo") tex-fold.el simply takes the faces
used for the original content and uses them for the display string as
well.  If there are no faces, it uses `TeX-fold-folded-face' like in
the fixed-string case.

That means if lowering or raising should be done, it has to be done by
font-latex.  I won't implement something like this in tex-fold.el.