[AUCTeX] Re: A little suggestion about AucteX

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: A little suggestion about AucteX
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:36:23 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> * David Kastrup (2005-06-26) writes:

>>> Sounds more or less like standard practice, yes.  Ideas, anybody?
>>
>> The standard classes produce incorrect spacing with top captions.
>> These could only be activated if e.g. the caption package is loaded or
>> the `tablecaptionabove' option of a KOMA-Script class is set.
>>
>>> How complicated would it be to implement captions at top/below?
>>
>> M-x customize-variable RET LaTeX-top-caption-list RET
>
> Uh, ok.  Can we modify this automatically (buffer-locally, I guess)
> according to the above cases?  Would probably need to be done in
> style/caption.el (currently I only see captcont.el), and in
> scrbase.el?

IMHO, modifying it buffer-locally is not the right way. Either the
author wants table captions above tables, or not. So the author wants
it in /one/ way, and not in different ways, depending on the document
class or if caption.sty is loaded or not.

IMHO, one could add table and table* to LaTeX-top-caption-list --
table captions above with too little spacing are still better than
table captions below, but that's my opinion. AUCTeX is too
`bug-compatible' to LaTeX here, IMO. It would be nice, of course, if
AUCTeX informed the user that there is a little beauty flaw that he
should correct, but the real problem is a LaTeX problem, not an AUCTeX
one.

--
Christian Schlauer