Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98

From: Harald von Aschen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Install report: Emacs and Windows 98
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:33:30 +0200

At 17:28 23.07.05 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
> * David Kastrup (2005-07-23) writes:

> * Document the problem and the given solution.
> * Don't use PATH for finding executables.  Okay this is pretty much
>   out of question since both the shell used for installation as well
>   as Emacs rely on it.
>
> BTW, some file variables (like `TeX-lisp-directory') in tex-site.el
> are already computed dynamically.  If all were computed like this, we
> could probably provide a pre-built version of AUCTeX for Windows users
> which would only have to be extracted into an existing Emacs tree.  No
> downloading of MSYS, no configuring, no building.  That'd be quite
> convenient.  Or did I miss something?

gswin32c, but that's nothing that one could not put into tex-mik.el or
tex-fptex.el if necessary.

Could it be that my TeXLive-Distribution was coming with a preinstalled Emacs? This was the version I've worked a long time with and AUCTeX was included. This was a quite good solution for the first time using TeX on a Windows PC because I have nothing to know how to do an installation of Emacs under Windows.

On the other hand Uwe Siart's article was quite fine although it is written in German and could perhaps be somehow like a reference.

Best regards

Harald