Re: [AUCTeX] How to get pdf mode turned on automatically for beamer file

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] How to get pdf mode turned on automatically for beamer files
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:37:15 +0100

* Stephen Eglen (2005-11-07) writes:

> By default, I normally keep tex pdf mode off, as for most of my
> latex'ing I wish to use latex/xdvi etc.  But for files created
> with the beamer package, I'd like PDF mode turned on, to make pdf
> slides.  Its only a few keystrokes away (C-c C-t C-p) but how can
> I get emacs to automatically turn on PDF mode for my beamer
> files?

The following statement for your init file would be a way to do the
trick:

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(TeX-add-style-hook "beamer" (lambda () (TeX-PDF-mode 1))))

> So, how do I give AUCTeX an additional clue that for beamer I'd
> like PDF mode on?  Do I have to use a File variable at the end of
> my tex file?

That would be another way.  You could use

%%% TeX-PDF-mode: t

But I'd prefer the option with the style hook because there might be
people with whom you might share such a file and who may have other
preferences handling it.

> (I'd also like to have a keybinding turned on if beamer is
> recognised, how do I do that?  Edit beamer.el?

You should be able to do this in the `lambda' expression shown above.