Re: [AUCTeX] Debugging LaTeX warnings

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Debugging LaTeX warnings
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:47:05 +0100

>>> "Ralf" == Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

 > [Please don't use auc-tex at sunsite.dk.

I actually used TeX-submit-bug-report.

 > The mailing list for general discussion of AUCTeX moved in March to
 > auctex at gnu.org.]

 > * Akim Demaille (2005-11-04) writes:

 >> I would love to have AUC-TeX provide a means to capture warnings just
 >> as it provides support for bad box warnings.  For instance:
 >>
 >> LaTeX Warning: Reference `grm.pda.nsupm' on page 123 undefined on input
 >> line 50
 >> 8.
 >>
 >> LaTeX Warning: \oval, \circle, or \line size unavailable on input line 170.
 >>
 >> Package hyperref Warning: Token not allowed in a PDFDocEncoded string,
 >> (hyperref)                removing `math shift' on input line 1453.

 > AUCTeX should be able to jump to the first two warnings if you enable
 > `TeX-debug-bad-boxes' e.g. with `C-c C-w'.

Hum...  I think I did though, but maybe I forgot.  Anyway, I, for one,
would really love to be able to distinguish bw bad boxes, and more
problematic warnings.

 > The attached patch (against CVS) will remedy some of these problems
 > and do some more:

 >   * Display of warnings or bad boxes can be enabled and disabled
 >     independently of each other.  This can come handy if you have a
 >     document with many overfull or underfull boxes and want to debug
 >     warnings other than those.

This is brilliant!  I'm not fond of moving to using CVS (I have
already too many such dependencies on my machine), so I think I'll
wait to see this patch under Debian to use it :(

 >   * After running LaTeX the user will be informed if warnings or bad
 >     boxes were found if the respective options `TeX-debug-bad-boxes'
 >     or `TeX-debug-warnings' are enabled.

Excellent too!

 >   * Warnings without line numbers and warnings issued by packages will
 >     be found as well.  You can check that e.g. by defining two
 >     identical labels.  (Display of the .aux file might not be too
 >     informative, though.)

I'm eager to use these.

 > What I'd really like to see is an error/warning overview buffer as
 > suggested before.  Something like that would probably be easier to do
 > if compile.el offered it ready to be used by other libraries.

Indeed, as a user, this would be my favorite option.

BTW, ISTR that AUC-TeX doesn't like -file-line-error-style (print
file:line:error style messages).  It would be nice though.

Thanks again!