[AUCTeX] Re: Extremely slow input

From: Christoph Bier
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Extremely slow input
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:19:14 +0100

Ralf Angeli schrieb am 12.11.2005 19:57:

> * Christoph Bier (2005-11-12) writes:
>
>>today I observed a significant slow down of character input. I've
>>never seen this before even with much larger files. I process a file
>>with 78K and I can type `bier' 38 times before Emacs displays it;
>>not exactly---I just stopped typing after 38 times because Emacs
>>didn't display what I was typing. I tried with other files and the
>>problem does not occur.
>>
>>I don't know what to look for. I found [1]
>
> Why didn't you just check yesterdays articles in auxtex-devel? (c;

Oops, sorry.

> Especially
> <URL:http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden>
> might be interesting.
>
> Also, Robert wrote in private mail that due to the size of his file it
> would take some time to come up with a minimal example.  This is what
> I wrote in reply in order to generate some more information for
> preparing an example:
>
> | Maybe it helps to profile Emacs before you go through the hassle of
> | preparing a minimal file.  In order to do this, start Emacs, load your
> | LaTeX file, switch to the *scratch* buffer, copy the lines
> |
> | (elp-instrument-package "font-latex-")
> | (elp-instrument-package "font-lock-")
> |
> | into the buffer and type `M-x eval-buffer RET'.  You can then start
> | editing your file.  When the slow-down starts, leave Emacs running for
> | two or three minutes and then type `M-x elp-results RET'.  The output
> | should help us identify the functions causing the problems.  Then it
> | might be easier to create a minimal example file.

Ok, thanks for your reply! Results are attached.

Regards,
    Christoph
--
+++ Typografie-Regeln: http://www.zvisionwelt.de/typokurz.pdf (1.4)
Function Name                                                Call Count
Elapsed Time  Average Time
===========================================================  ==========
============  ============
font-lock-fontify-region                                     520
69.550186999  0.1337503596
font-lock-default-fontify-region                             520
69.54054      0.1337318076
font-lock-fontify-keywords-region                            520
64.052395999  0.1231776846
font-latex-match-command-with-arguments                      80778
17.907670000  0.0002216899
font-latex-match-function                                    29686
7.5506899999  0.0002543518
font-lock-append-text-property                               247816
5.0470700000  2.036...e-05
font-latex-match-simple-command                              103911
4.7571580000  4.578...e-05
font-latex-match-reference                                   13543
4.2281959999  0.0003122052
font-latex-match-textual                                     22218
3.9877769999  0.0001794840
font-lock-fontify-syntactically-region                       520
3.5999580000  0.0069229961
font-latex-find-matching-close                               46233
2.6351849999  5.699...e-05
font-latex-match-sectioning-4                                2102
1.3459310000  0.0006403097
font-latex-faces-present-p                                   95464
1.2570379999  1.316...e-05
font-latex-forward-comment                                   119487
1.2421169999  1.039...e-05
font-latex-match-sectioning-3                                5464
1.1564359999  0.0002116464
font-latex-match-command-in-braces                           6624
1.1262879999  0.0001700314
font-lock-unfontify-region                                   520
0.9475829999  0.0018222749
font-latex-unfontify-region                                  518
0.9379450000  0.0018107046
font-latex-script                                            15306
0.7752550000  5.065...e-05
font-lock-default-unfontify-region                           520
0.7736700000  0.0014878269
font-latex-match-warning                                     15672
0.7290579999  4.651...e-05
font-lock-fontify-syntactic-keywords-region                  518
0.721396      0.0013926563
font-latex-match-type-declaration                            3449
0.6107180000  0.0001770710
font-latex-match-sectioning-2                                2314
0.5952429999  0.0002572355
font-latex-match-italic-declaration                          2659
0.4535389999  0.0001705675
font-latex-match-script                                      15822
0.4000150000  2.528...e-05
font-latex-match-bold-command                                1587
0.3554410000  0.0002239703
font-latex-match-variable                                    516
0.3211909999  0.0006224631
font-latex-match-italic-command                              768
0.3069990000  0.0003997382
font-latex-match-bold-declaration                            516
0.2922329999  0.0005663430
font-latex-match-quotation                                   672
0.1954079999  0.0002907857
font-latex-match-sectioning-1                                516
0.1877379999  0.0003638333
font-latex-match-sectioning-5                                516
0.1853819999  0.0003592674
font-latex-match-math-envII                                  516
0.1838689999  0.0003563352
font-latex-match-math-env                                    516
0.1511909999  0.0002930058
font-latex-match-sectioning-0                                516
0.1346389999  0.0002609282
font-latex-match-type-command                                516
0.1306169999  0.0002531337
font-latex-match-math-command                                516
0.1294460000  0.0002508643
font-latex-syntactic-face-function                           3757
0.0083910000  2.233...e-06
font-latex-match-slide-title                                 516
0.0023940000  4.639...e-06