[AUCTeX] Re: Extremely slow input

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Extremely slow input
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:38:34 +0100

* Christoph Bier (2005-11-13) writes:

> Ralf Angeli schrieb am 13.11.2005 11:32:
>
>> Type `M-x customize-variable RET font-latex-do-multi-line RET', set it
>> to "Disabled", click "State", click "Save for Future Sessions",
>> restart Emacs (or type `M-: (font-latex-setup) RET' with the buffer of
>> your file as the active buffer).
>
> Thanks! I changed this setting.

Does it prevent the slow-down?

> Do I have to expect any
> disadvantages now?

Yes, multi-line constructs will not be fontified correctly.

I am really interested in fixing this without such drawbacks, so if
possible please send an example file.  You can also do this with a
private mail to me if necessary.  If you need something to scramble
the contents you could try something like the following function on a
copy of the file:

(defun TeX-scramble-buffer ()
  (interactive)
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (while (not (eobp))
    (forward-char)
    (cond
     ((looking-at "\\w+")
      (replace-match (make-string (length (match-string 0)) ?x))
      (goto-char (match-end 0)))
     ((looking-at "\\\\")
      (goto-char (TeX-find-macro-end))))))

This will replace any word constituent character outside of macros
with "x".

Copy it into the *scratch* buffer, put point behind the last
parenthesis, type `C-x C-e', change to the buffer to be scrambled and
type `M-x TeX-scramble-buffer RET'.

>> By the way, we could communicate faster if you included me in the list
>> of recipients (I know, then you cannot use Gmane anymore). [...]
>
> No? Hm.

I don't know how you sent that mail, but it has the disadvantage that
I have to insert the mailing list address by hand when replying.