Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:37:24 +0100

David Scott <address@hidden> writes:

> I have just installed XEmacs and auctex on a windows machine running XP.
> (XEmacs 21.4.18, auctex 11.82).
>
> I am loading tex-site

The installation instructions tell you what to do instead.

> so highlighting is working and I can run LaTeX on my TeX files with
> either C-c C-c or from the Command menu.
>
> When I come to try and view the dvi file though XEmacs looks for
> xdvi. I need to use yap for this. Also I would like to be able to
> create a postscript file using dvips and a pdf file using dvipdfm. I
> can do these things using a command window but I would like to be
> able to do them while still in XEmacs.
>
> Can anyone help with these problems?

The installation instructions?  INSTALL.windows tells

 11. With XEmacs, AUCTeX and preview-latex should now be active by
     default.  With Emacs, activation depends on a working
     `site-start.d' directory or similar setup, since then the startup
     files `auctex.el' and `preview-latex.el' will have been placed
     there.  If this has not been done, you should be able to load the
     startup files manually with
          (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
          (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
     in either a site-wide `site-start.el' or your personal startup file
     (usually accessible as `~/.emacs' from within Emacs and
     `~/.xemacs/init.el' from within XEmacs).

     The default configuration of AUCTeX is probably not the best fit
     for Windows systems.  You might want to additionally use
          (require 'tex-mik)
     or
          (require 'tex-fptex)
     in order to get more appropriate values for MikTeX and fpTeX,
     respectively.

     You can always use

          M-x customize-group RET AUCTeX RET

     in order to customize more stuff, or use the `Customize' menu.