Re: [AUCTeX] preview background

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] preview background
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:12:06 +0100

Patrick Drechsler <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote on 12 Jan 2006 10:09:47 MET:
>
>> preview-latex works by creating a canvas with the background
>> color and setting the drawing color to the foreground color.
>> Then the drawing code from your figure takes over.
>
> Thanks for the insight. I posted the screenshot because I wasn't
> sure if it was something to be easily fixed or not. As you can
> see, preview-latex otherwise works great now!
>
> [...]
>
>> And honestly: what do you expect short of magic?
>
> preview-latex is pretty close to magic IMO ;-)

It is not like its history is not rife of examples where it was first
proven rigorously that a certain feature or performance enhancement
was technically impossible to do, followed by an actual
implementation.

With regard to the colored math example, there would be the
possibility to change LaTeX's notion of back- and foregroundcolor, but
that would not help with figures.  And it might be possible to just
replace black and white color selections with the Emacs
fore&background.

I am not sure those approaches are worth the pain, though.  Stuff that
is really multicolored will look wrong in a colored text window, no
matter what you do.