Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files

From: David Scott
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Creating ps and pdf files
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:11:17 +1300 (NZDT)

Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 6:09 AM

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:

Chaining these commands to have something like a fully
automatic compile cycle from source to final output is not supported
out of the box yet.

In Windows O/S, I usually write a short aaa.bat file, and add it to the command list. It always takes me from .tex & .bib to .dvi & .ps & .pdf and view it in a viewer in one step.
(Make sure your tex code without any error.)
But it takes longer time. Acrobat will lock a file after it opens the file.

In a similar way, when I write slides using HA-prosper, I view the results in ps format instead of dvi.

I worked out the .bat file idea myself and have nearly got it. For example here is my .bat to process prosper files:

latex %1
dvips -o %1.ps %1.dvi
ps2pdf12.bat %1.ps %1.pdf
AcroRd32 %1.pdf

which works fine except for the last line. I can't get acroread to fire up. Maybe it is to do with the locking that you mention. If I can get over that I will be very happy.

My general aim is to be able to use XEmacs on Windows as well as Unix (my preferred system). Currently on Unix I either use a Makefile or shell programs akin to the .bat above. This discussion has been very helpful because I can see now how I can do all my processing on Unix from XEmacs as well.

Thanks

David Scott

David Scott     Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
                The University of Auckland, PB 92019
                Auckland        NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830         Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:  address@hidden

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics