[AUCTeX] AUCTeX and preprocessors

From: Wouter Swierstra
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX and preprocessors
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:54:15 +0000

Dear all,

I've been using Emacs and AUCTeX for a while now and I'm quite happy with the general set up.

Unfortunately, I regularly write documents that aren't LaTeX, but require a bit of preprocessing - i.e. a .lhs file which is converted to .tex by a command line program (lhs2TeX). Unfortunately, auctex and friends work fine when editing .tex files, but are less happy when working on files that have different extensions. For instance, C- c C-v to view a document typically complains that "document.lhs.dvi doesn't exist".

I'd be most grateful if people on this list have any suggestions how to customize auctex to my specific needs. Ideally, I'd like .lhs files to behave just like .tex with respect to issuing latex commands, viewing, source specials, and all that. A simple M-x latex- mode won't cut it.

Thanks in advance,

--Wouter