Re: [AUCTeX] BIBINPUTS

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] BIBINPUTS
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:13:15 +0100

* Greg BOGNAR (2006-01-30) writes:

> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Ralf Angeli wrote:
>
>> * Greg BOGNAR (2006-01-28) writes:

>> > In my .bashrc:
>> >
>> > BIBINPUTS=.:$HOME/Documents/bibliographies//:
>> >
>> > As I mentioned before, a latex job run from the terminal finds the
>> > databases, only Emacs doesn't.
>>
>> Does it work if you export the variable?
>
> No, it doesn't.  As far as I understand from the bash manpage,
> variables defined in .bashrc do not have to be exported, in any case.

I understand it differently and in fact, if I start a tty, Emacs does
not pick up the variable unless it is exported.

Regarding the X session: You are probably starting your X session via
a display manager.  That means you have to set the variable in a file
which is evaluated by the display manager.  In my case .xsession does
the trick.  As you already found out .fvwm/config did it for you at
least with this particular window manager.

> Wouldn't the simple solution be to introduce a variable for the
> bibliography databases within AUCTeX?  I think there are such
> variables in RefTeX and Bib-cite.

It's better to use an environment variable.  Then you don't have to
set the respective value separately in every application needing it.