[AUCTeX] setting latex folder

From: Mat_83
Subject: [AUCTeX] setting latex folder
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 05:36:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,
I started using auctex in combination with emacs to edit my tex-files a few
days ago, so it's pretty new for me.
Basic information:
OS: SUSE Linux 9.2 (installed using free ftp-edition)
Tex/Latex system: Tex Live 2005
Auctex: vers. 11.14 rel. 69.1 (installed using rpm from http://rpmseek.com/)
Emacs: vers. 21.3.1 (installed using rpm from http://rpmseek.com/)
Here's my problem:
The Tex Live installer installed the tex-files to /usr/local/texlive/2005/.
So auctex trys to execute '/bin/bash: pdflatex' and can't find it, because
it's not in the directory /usr/bin/ .
I kind of made a quickfix by linking some of the important files to
/usr/bin/ by ln -s . So now my auctex installation works and I can compile
my latex code. Is there a better way to solve this problem. I already took a
look at the options, but did not find a option to set something like a 'tex
parent directory'. Another problem is that my tex system seems to dislike
special letters like german 'umlaute'. For example: ß, ä, ö, ü. (I hope your
mail-readers are able to show these letters)
I'd be thakful for any suggestions.
Greetings,
Matthias