[AUCTeX] tex386?

From: Alejandro Jakubi
Subject: [AUCTeX] tex386?
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:50:51 -0300

I have installed the precompiled bundle emacs+auctex-w32-2006-03-09.zip on
Windows XP SP2 (Spanish) with MikTeX 2.4 (and updated ghostscript, etc). Just
unpacking it, some things work (eg syntax highlighting for tex files), but
some other do not like running tex. I get this error message:

=======
Running `LaTeX' on `guia3' with ``latex  "\nonstopmode\input{guia3.tex}"''
"tex386" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.
"lplain" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

LaTeX exited abnormally with code 1 at Wed Mar 22 23:52:48
=======

I do not know why Emacs wants to run tex386 (it is not included in MikTeX) or
use
lplain (this is a latex2e file). Is it a built in option? or a default
stored in a configuration file or the registry?

In the download page I do not find an instalation guide. The file
RELEASE-2006-03-09.txt is not very useful either as it points to the manual
pages, but these pages deal with compilation under cygwin, etc. If some
configuration items are relevant to this precomplied version, it is not clear
which ones.

I have found googling some rather old pages dealing with the configuration of
Emacs+MikTeX, like

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs/discuss/auctex-miktex

I wonder whether this information is valid for this precompiled version.

I would like to see an installation guide for this version and a model
configuration (.emacs ) file.

Regards, Alejandro Jakubi