[AUCTeX] Re: Trouble with Find Documentation

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Trouble with Find Documentation
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:15:04 -0400

Ralf Angeli wrote:
* Alan Ristow (2006-06-27) writes:

The one problem I'm having with both right now is the Find Documentation command. When I run it from Emacs, it prompts me for a command or package name. I've tried typing a number of packages that I know are installed on my system -- memoir, textcomp, etc. -- but it always responds with "Documentation not found." I've checked the value of TeX-Macro-Global and it contains the proper paths to my TeX installation.

What appears if you copy the lines

(when (executable-find "texdoc")
                (TeX-search-files nil '("dvi" "pdf" "ps" "txt" "html") t t))

into the *scratch* buffer, place the cursor behind the last
parenthesis and type `C-j'?

("test" "campanile" "beamericonbook" "beamericonbook.20" "beamericonarticle" "beamericonarticle.20" "beamer-icsi-logo" "powerdot-default")

It appears to be searching more than one directory, as I don't have a directory that contains exactly this set of files. However, my TeX tree obviously contains a lot more than eight files of the types listed in your command. None of them, with the possible exception of "test", appears to be related to anything I've opened since installing Emacs.

When I run it from XEmacs, I get an error reading "Autoloading failed to define function Info-find-file." After a little googling, I get the impression that this particular feature is broken under XEmacs for the moment. Is that correct?

Yes.  The situation with the CVS version of AUCTeX is a bit better.
It does not throw an error, but getting documentation of LaTeX
commands from latex.info does not and probably will not work with
XEmacs and Emacs 21.  Getting documentation via texdoc should work in
all Emacs and XEmacs versions, however.

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll experiment more with XEmacs once I get everything working properly in Emacs, as I'd prefer to use XEmacs in the long run. For now, I'll just forget about it.

Alan