Re: [AUCTeX] Generating symbols with preview-latex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Generating symbols with preview-latex
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:11:09 +0200

"Miguel V. S. Frasson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I didn't look for the answer of my question by myself due to focusing
> efforts in the toolbar.
>
> What is the lisp code for getting a ``image object'' (in Emacs and
> XEmacs) with the symbol \alpha?

I don't understand the question.  preview-latex runs LaTeX and dvipng
or GhostScript.  Most of this is done with the usual asynchronous
AUCTeX mechanisms (meaning that finishing the job happens with output
filters and process sentinels, completely disconnected from the
functions starting it).  This renders a PNG file.  This PNG file is
then turned into an image using the normal display properties.

There is no lisp code turning symbols into images.