Re: [AUCTeX] Re: using xpdf instead of acroread for TeX-doc

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: using xpdf instead of acroread for TeX-doc
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 19:19:59 +0200

* Sebastian P. Luque (2006-09-11) writes:

> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:42:44 +0200,
> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> * Sebastian P. Luque (2006-09-11) writes:
>>> How can we tell TeX-doc to use xpdf instead of acroread for opening
>>> *.pdf files?
>
>> man texdoc
>
> Thanks, of course (I should've thought of it)!

Not really.  It's not so obvious.  While the names `TeX-doc' and
`texdoc' sound similar, `TeX-doc' is an interface for multiple
backends.

> However, I'm not sure
> where I should set the variable.  I tried adding it to ~/.bashrc, but it
> has no effect (export TEXDOCVIEW_pdf='xpdf %s').

This works fine for me (GDM and Blackbox window manager).  In my case
~/.bash_profile sources ~/.bashrc.  Maybe that's the difference.  In
any case it probably depends upon the programs you are using on X
(window manager or desktop environment) reading such files.