[AUCTeX] Re: Activate editor or viewer when inverse or forward search

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Activate editor or viewer when inverse or forward search
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:49:38 +0200

* Miguel V. S. Frasson (2006-09-14) writes:

> When enabling TeX-source-specials-mode, with default setting, doing
> forward search I get in KDE (a friend of mine uses it) that xdvik is
> not raised, and in Window Maker (the WM I use) it gets raised but not
> active (focused).  This behavior is not optimal, because I like to get
> xdvi control when I view the dvi.  Is there a way to make xdvi get
> raise and get focus when we do forward search?

No.  I asked Stefan Ulrich a while back about this issue and he didn't
want to change it.  The thread can be found at
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.xdvi.devel/1189>.

> Now with inverse search, Emacs does not raise nor get focus.  This is
> not nice, because often if I do inverse search, I like to see or edit
> the .tex source code.  I have to get focus to Emacs by myself, while a
> command line of xdvi could do that for me.

Might be the same reason why xdvi is not raised.

> If TeX-source-specials-mode is off, I see in my desktop that C-c C-v
> brings me another  xdvi window, even if I already have one with the
> same file. Is this the way it was intended?

Yes.  xdvi watches the file, so there is no need to invoke the viewer
once again.  It suffices to give focus to the viewer.