[AUCTeX] Re: Disappearing Reftex

From: Alan Ristow
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Disappearing Reftex
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:34:56 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:
Alan Ristow <address@hidden> writes:

Reftex keeps unloading on me and I'm not sure why. I thought I'd
tracked the problem to a bad command in my .emacs file and
everything seemed fine after I fixed it. However, after working in
Emacs for a little while today I hit C-c [ and the minibuffer
informed me that key binding is undefined. Sure enough, the Ref menu
had disappeared as well. After a bit more troubleshooting today I
noticed quite by accident that the Ref menu disappears within 10
seconds or so of startup, and does so at exactly the same time the
"GNU Emacs" buffer that serves as a welcome screen unloads. The
first line of my .emacs file is (setq debug-on-error t), but it
doesn't pop up anything up when Reftex unloads. As a relative newbie
to Emacs and AUCTeX I've exhausted my ability to debug this any
further myself.

(setq init-file-debug t)

at the start of .emacs.

I added it, but Emacs doesn't alert me of anything unusual.

I should note that I have installed gnuclient on my system and only
have this problem when I double-click on my .tex file to open it
with Emacs. If I open Emacs first, then open the file via C-x C-f
the Ref menu (and the rest of Reftex) sticks around. However, I'm
not sure if this is truly related to gnuclient, as when I comment
out the gnuclient-related commands from .emacs file I can no longer
open the file by double-clicking. In this case, since the "GNU
Emacs" buffer unloads the moment I hit C-x C-f it is gone before
Reftex ever loads and they never have the opportunity to unload
together.

Hm.

My .emacs file follows -- is there anything obvious that could lead to this?

(setq debug-on-error t)

;; set frame geometry
(set-frame-height (selected-frame) 42)
(set-frame-width (selected-frame) 80)

;; start gnuserv on Windows
(if (or (eq window-system 'w32) (eq window-system 'win32))
    (progn
      (require 'gnuserv)
      (setq server-done-function 'bury-buffer
      gnuserv-frame (car (frame-list)))
      (gnuserv-start)
      ;;; open buffer in existing frame instead of creating new one...
      (setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))
      (message "gnuserv started.")))

;; set up for MiKTeX
(require 'tex-mik)

Which version of AUCTeX do you use?

Version 11.83. My Emacs installation is the Emacs/AUCTeX bundle from the AUCTeX site.

(defun my-latex-setup ()
  "Customize up my LaTeX environment."
  (setq default-input-method "TeX"))

I'd use (set (make-local-variable 'default-input-method) "TeX") instead.

Done. I check this out via M-x apropos RET and as I understand what I found this sets default-input-method to "TeX" for .tex files only, whereas the method I was using before sets it for all buffers whenever I load a .tex file. Correct?

(autoload 'turn-on-reftex "reftex" "RefTeX Minor Mode" nil)
(autoload 'reftex-citation "reftex-cite" "Make Citation" nil)
(autoload 'reftex-index-phrase-mode "reftex-index" "Phrase Mode" t)

Remove all of those autoloads. I guess they are the problem.

I removed them, but to no avail -- the problem persists.

Do you
remember where you got the idea to place them?  It is not the first
time I have seen people do this, and if it is something in the
documentation that makes people do it, it should get fixed.

I don't recall *exactly* where I got the idea, but I know it came from a web page page someplace when I was searching for Emacs and AUCTeX setup help. I'm quite certain it didn't come from the documentation.

Alan