[AUCTeX] Problem with preview-latex and ghostscript in suse 10

From: MrJ Man
Subject: [AUCTeX] Problem with preview-latex and ghostscript in suse 10
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:09:24 -0700 (PDT)

I have installed auctex-emacs-11.83-1.suse in suse 10,
ESP Ghostscript 8.15.0 (2004-09-22) and the auctex
part works fine, yet the preview-latex part displays
the error images; in particular, the gs process is
stalled after the generation of the preview.ps file. I
checked the variable preview-gs-init-string and input
it on the gs command prompt and nothing happened, yet
if I run the same command line with the path of the
preview.ps file appended to it, the png images are
generated normally, though with white background
colour. I have read the other reports about
ghostscript problems, however the problem appears to
have nothing to do with /invalidfileaccess (bear in
mind I am not quite familiar with postscript). What do
you think?

One more thing: I have written a minor environment
(about 100 lines, see the attached file) in emacs lisp
in order to change the input language automatically
between latex macros and the document text. I have
been using it for a couple of years and it works
pretty well; it probably has a few bugs and needs some
code cleaning, so I thought maybe someone with more
lisp experience could take a look and give me some
suggestions.

Regards

http://mail.yahoo.com
;;; latex-i18n.el --- Support for i18n in LaTeX documents.
;;
;; Maintainer: <address@hidden>
;; Version: 0.1
;; Copyright 2002
;;
;; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
;; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option)
;; any later version.
;;
;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;
;; along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
;; Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

;;; Code:

(require 'latex)

;;; Setup:

(provide 'latex-i18n)

;; Keymap
(defvar latex-i18n-keymap
(let ((map(copy-keymap LaTeX-mode-map)))
  (define-key map "\\" 'latex-i18n-backslash)
  (define-key map "\}" 'latex-i18n-rmoustache)
  (define-key map "\{" 'latex-i18n-lmoustache)
  (define-key map " "  'latex-i18n-space)
  (define-key map "$"  'latex-i18n-dollar)
  map))

(defun latex-i18n-mode ()
  (interactive)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'slash-done)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'starting-input-method)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'starting-math-input-method)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'been-in-math-mode)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'starting-moustache)
  (make-variable-buffer-local 'latex-i18n-mode)
  (setq latex-i18n-mode t)
  (use-local-map latex-i18n-keymap))

;  (set-buffer-modified-p (buffer-modified-p)))

(or (assoc 'latex-i18n-mode minor-mode-alist)
    (setq minor-mode-alist (cons '(latex-i18n-mode " i18n") minor-mode-alist)))

; (or (assoc 'latex-i18n-mode minor-mode-map-alist)
;     (setq minor-mode-map-alist
;         (cons (cons 'latex-i18n-mode latex-i18n-keymap)
;               minor-mode-map-alist)))

(defvar latex-i18n-regexp-list
  '("section" "subsection" "subsubsection" "text" "author" "title" "paragraph"
"caption")
  "Environments that accept input in various languages (not just ASCII")

(defun latex-i18n-backslash ()
  (interactive)
;(unless(TeX-point-is-escaped)
  (setq starting-input-method current-input-method)
  (inactivate-input-method)
  (setq slash-done t)
  (insert "\\"))

(defun latex-i18n-rmoustache ()
  (interactive)
  (insert "\}")
  (when slash-done
    (save-excursion
      (backward-word 2)
      (if (and been-in-math-mode (looking-at "end"))
          (progn (activate-input-method starting-math-input-method)
                 (setq been-in-math-mode nil))))
    (when (texmathp)
      (if (save-excursion (backward-word 2) (looking-at "begin"))
          (progn (setq starting-math-input-method starting-input-method)
                 (setq been-in-math-mode t)
                 (inactivate-input-method))
        (inactivate-input-method)))
    (setq starting-moustache nil)
    (setq slash-done nil)))

(defun latex-i18n-lmoustache ()
  (interactive)
  (when slash-done
    (save-excursion
      (backward-word 1)
      (let (non-math)
        (setq non-math (catch 'found
                         (dolist (temp latex-i18n-regexp-list)
                           (if (looking-at temp) (throw 'found t)))))
        (if non-math (activate-input-method starting-input-method))))
    (setq starting-moustache t))
  (insert "\{"))

(defun latex-i18n-space ()
  (interactive)
  (when slash-done
    (when (not starting-moustache)
    (activate-input-method starting-input-method)
    (setq slash-done nil)))
  (insert ?\ )
  (do-auto-fill))

(defun latex-i18n-dollar ()
  (interactive)
  (if (texmathp) (activate-input-method starting-math-input-method)
    (setq starting-math-input-method current-input-method)
    (inactivate-input-method))
  (insert "$"))