[AUCTeX] [Feature request] Prevent break lines in arguments of \index co

From: Denis Bitouzé
Subject: [AUCTeX] [Feature request] Prevent break lines in arguments of \index commands
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:15:56 +0100

Hello,

thanks for AucTeX which makes my life simpler!

I find very useful to format paragraphs with ESC-q keystroke. But it
can lead to troubles with indexes because it can insert break lines in
arguments of \index commands and I recently noticed that such break
lines could lead to different entries in the index, as it can be
checked in the following minimal example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{makeidx}
\makeindex
\begin{document}
Bla bla bla bla\index{Something
  with spaces}
\newpage{}
Bla bla bla bla\index{Something
  with spaces}
\newpage{}
Bla bla bla bla\index{Something with spaces}
\newpage{}
Bla bla bla bla\index{Something with spaces}
\printindex{}
\end{document}

So, could it be possible that all formatting commands don't make break
lines in arguments of \index commands? And, furthermore, it could be
great to prevent the user to insert, even "manually", such break lines!

Maybe there are other commands than \index one which could have same
treatment...

Thanks,
--
Denis