Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX, Cygwin and Vista

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AUCTeX, Cygwin and Vista
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 00:35:07 +0100

Ciaran Taylor <address@hidden> writes:

>     I've tried to follow your advice with Cygwin, but run into a weird
>     difficulty:
>     I get "/bin/sh: command not found". "which sh" shows
>     /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/sh.
>     I've replaced /bin/sh with /cygdrive/c/cygwin/bin/sh everywhere I've found
>     it.

You should rather have started Cygwin with the respective batch script
which is, if I remember correctly, supposed to _mount_ the bin and other
directories (which gets recorded in the registry or something).

> I have no experience with Cygwin, but I notice that the file
> INSTALL.windows says "Avoid `helpful' magic file names like
> `/cygdrive/c' and `C:\PROGRA~1\' like the plague.  It is quite
> unlikely that the scripts will be able to identify the actual file
> names involved."  I don't entirely understand what the problem might
> be with `/cygdrive/c' , but could your difficulties be something to do
> with this?

Possibly.  c:/whatever is probably what should have been used here, but
this does not change that Cygwin will not be able to find /bin/sh for
scripting (an entirely different problem, actually) unless /bin is
actually mounted.