Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Precompiled AUCTeX 11.85 for Emacs on Windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Precompiled AUCTeX 11.85 for Emacs on Windows
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:24:59 +0100

"J Sreedhar" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     * J. Sreedhar (2008-03-02) writes:
>
>     > I understand. I guess my real question/request is for *more
>     > detailed instructions* on how to "drop" the precompiled AUCTeX
>     > package into the GNU Emacs official distribution.
>
>     Did you read the instructions on the download page?  If yes, what are
>     you missing?
>
> Nothing in particular, but the instructions seem to be too terse and
> intimidating. A little hand-holding might help. :-)

I have a really hard time reading any sense into this.  If the
instructions are to the point, more fluff will make it harder, not
easier to follow them.  In fact, the most frequent problem we encounter
with installations is that people's attention span does not last through
four sentences.  Making the instructions more long-winded effectively
just gives an excuse for not following them.

And it is nonsensical to ask for personal handholding when you are in
"pristine state" and no additional information is available: it means
that the "handholding" instructions can be no different from the
instructions that are there, anyway.

> I shall try to follow the instructions and see how it goes.

Please do so.  And if you find any problems with a particular part of
the instructions in that course, feel free to report them and ask for
help.  Or if you can think of any improvements or want something
clarified, feel free to ask as well.

But having somebody reread the instructions to you is not going to be of
any additional value for anybody involved, including yourself.