Re: [AUCTeX] One more

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] One more
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:32:03 +0100

Dieter Jurzitza <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear listmembers,
> every other time I have to edit files that stem out of a time when there was
> no utf8 but latin1.
> The bad thing about it is that emacs immediatly recognizes this and displays
> the "umlauts" correctly. However, clearly, latex fails afterwards.

Why would it fail if the file has not been changed?

> Is there a simple command to tell emacs to force utf8 display so the
> wrong coded characters are displayed wrongly? Such as "ESC-x
> utf9-coding-style" (a command that does not exist :-) )

I have no idea what you want here.

> Because a search / replace operation does not work in latin1 mode,
> latin1 umlauts would be replaced by latin1 umlauts again.  Thank you
> very much in advance, take care

You are probably confused about encodings.  Emacs only ever works in his
own internal encoding.  Conversion to latin-1 or utf-8 or whatever is
done when reading or writing.  You can change the buffer coding system
using C-x RET f if you want to.

However, it is completely unclear to me why you would need to do so.
Emacs has no problems saving latin-1 files, and LaTeX will interpret
them as it did before.