Re: [AUCTeX] Newbie questions regarding ConTeXt support.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Newbie questions regarding ConTeXt support.
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 00:32:08 +0100

Aditya Mahajan <address@hidden> writes:

> I am trying emacs + auctex for editing ConTeXt files for the first
> time, so I may be wrong in my terminology. I have a few questions:
>
> 1. If I open a context file which says
>
> \section {A section title}
>
> then emacs makes the font for the title bigger and colored. However,
> ConTeXt has another way for entering sections
>
> \section A section title
>
> That is, the section title is until a \par is encountered (or an
> implicit \par in the form of an empty line). Currently, emacs does not
> highlight this.
>
> Is this a bug with auctex, or should I report to some other place?

A bug with AUCTeX's ConTeXt mode, certainly.  It is likely that a lot of
other commands should be treated similarly, so fixing this requires
somebody with a good clue of ConTeXt (not necessarily the same person
actually doing the changes, but overseeing them).

> 2. I noticed that in inline math (things between $...$), if I have
> X_t, then the 't' is displayed in the subscript. I like this
> feature. However, the same does not happen in display math (things
> between \startformula ... \stopformula). Is there a configuration
> option for this?

Most likely the same here.

> 3. How do I enable reftex with ConTeXt? I could not find the
> instructions in the reftex manual. (I installed emacs+auctex in ubuntu
> using apt-get).

Well, take the instructions for LaTeX and replace "LaTeX" with
"ConTeXt".  Whether the results are good I don't know.

> 4. What I really like about auctex is the functionality of
> preview-latex. What is needed to support preview-latex for ConTeXt?
>
> The last one is pertaining to emacs rather than auctex, but I am sure
> that people here will be able to help.

The changes in Emacs would be straightforward, I should think.  But
adapting preview.sty to ConTeXt requires TeX expertise.

> 5. I mainly use vim for editing tex files, prefer to input math as
> utf-8 characters (vim does not have anything equivalent to
> preview-latex, so this forms a poor man's preview). However, when I
> open any file with utf-8 math in emacs, I get an sqare box. How can I
> get emacs to display utf-8 characters correctly.

Installing proper fonts.

> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.7)
>  of 2008-02-08 on crested, modified by Ubuntu
> Package: 11.83

11.83?  Strangely old.  Not that it would matter for the problems you
reported IIRC.

> current state:
> (setq
>  AUCTeX-date "2006-06-07"