[AUCTeX] C-c ` teleports to wrong buffer

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: [AUCTeX] C-c ` teleports to wrong buffer
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:18:25 -0500

Hello,

I am facing the problem that after a LaTeX run, AuCTeX in some cases
fails to move me to the position of the error. It shows the messages

  Type `C-c C-l' to display results of compilation.
  LaTeX errors in `*~/columbia/lab/vacuum/report output*'. Use C-c ` to display.

but instead of bringing me to the correct line, C-c ` always teleports
me into the first line of a new buffer called "file".

It doesn't happen all the time, but in fact it depends on where in the
document the error is. It doesn't seem to happen for errors close to
the beginning, but only for errors later on. But that's about as much
as I was able to figure out by trying around for quite some time.

Does anybody have an idea what might cause this?

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of
2008-05-03 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu
Package: 11.84
AUCTeX-date "2007-01-12"
windowsystem 'x
LaTeX-version "2e"