Re: [AUCTeX] The file system path could not be retrieved.

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] The file system path could not be retrieved.
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 08:40:55 +0100

* José Carlos Santos (2009-03-14) writes:

> I installed AUCTeX on a new machine (Windows XP; the TeX distribution is
> MikTeX 2.7). When I tried to compile a file under EMACS doing C-c C-c, I
> got this error:
>
> Running `LaTeX' on `test' with ``pdflatex  -interaction=nonstopmode
> "\input" "test.tex"''
> pdflatex: The file system path could not be retrieved.

Does your user name contain a non-ASCII character?

Note that last time you had this problem you solved it by creating a
different user account, see
<URL:http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.auctex.general/2029>.

And here is a bug report from a user who had the same problem:
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/15992>  And he used a user
name with an umlaut.  The patch mentioned in this thread was checked
into the Emacs repository, so you might remedy the problem by using a
CVS version.