Re: [AUCTeX] Forcing "View" to run xdvi.

From: gerald . jean
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Forcing "View" to run xdvi.
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:57:03 -0400

Hello,

with the help of Svern it was relatively easy to solve the second problem,
thanks Svern.

The first problem was a little trickier to solve.  I am working on a Linux
server on which I don't have administrative rights, consequently I
installed Texlive on a group partition where my team collegues have access.
After running xdvi in a terminal, as suggested by Svern, I noticed that the
fonts where re-created each time xdvi was started, hence the long starting
time.

After setting debugging switches for xdvi I saw that many directories were
searched by Kpathsea but NOT the one where the fonts were re-created each
time xdvi was runned? The fonts were created in ~/.texlive2008/texmf-var.
I manually added this path to the environment variable TEXMFLOCAL.  Then
starting xdvi from a terminal was almost instantaneous.  I closed Emacs,
restarted it and ran xdvi through Auctex, but again it took a very long
time to start?  Poking around I found that the Emacs variable
"process-environment" didn't show my upgraded TEXMFLOCAL.  I upgraded
TEXMFLOCAL in my .bash_profile, closed Emacs, closed my session, opened a
new session, restarted Emacs and this time the Emacs variable
"process-environment" showed the proper value and consequently running xdvi
through Auctex it started instantaneously.  Not a simple process, to say
the least!!!

I realize that ~/.texlive2008/texmf-var is probably not the best place to
store the newly created fonts.  When my co-workers will use Texlive,
through Emacs or otherwise, they will likely run in the same problems.  Is
there a better way?

A nive weekend to all,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques,
VP Planification et Développement des Marchés,
Desjardins Groupe d'Assurances Générales
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

address@hidden a écrit sur 2009/04/23 11:09:35
:

> Hello
>
> address@hidden writes:
>
> > 1.-- The first time xdvi starts it is very slow, 30 sec. or more.  If I
> > leave it open between runs and use source specials it is then very fast
and
> > I find it very very convenient to go back and forth between the source
and
> > its display.  Why is it so slow the first time it starts?
>
> I can think of two possibilities:
>
> 1. It is a fresh installation, so xdvi has to produce the fonts before
>    it can display anything. Does it also happen if you re-open the very
>    same file?
>
> 2. Something with the TeX-installation is wrong so that xdvi doesn't find
>    the already created fonts and has to build them anew. I have seen
>    such a thing some years ago on an Ubuntu system.
>
> You can check if font-crating is really the problem if you open the
> dvi-file in a shell and watch what happens:
>
> $ xdvi foo.dvi
>
> > 2.-- When I include graphics via EPS files in my documents then "View"
> > wants to be nice to me and it runs dvips and pipes its output to ggv.
But
> > this is not what I want and I find xdvi much more convenient when
writing a
> > document, it makes it so much easier to go back and forht to correct
> > errors.  How can I force "View" to run xdvi with all the necessary
> > parameters to allow forward and inverse search, yes I have "source
> > specials" enabled?
>
> Insert the following line to the local variables near the end of your
> tex-file and re-open the file again:
>
> %%% TeX-output-view-style: (("^dvi$" "." "xdvi -s 4 -watchfile 1 %dS
%d"))

> Maybe Emacs asks you if you really want to evaluate the line. Just say
> yes. The '-s 4' is the initial zoom-factor, you can set it to another
> value.
>
> Greetings
>
> Sven
> --
> Sven Bretfeld
>       \ CEntrum für
> CERES  \ REligionswissenschaftliche
> ________\_Studien__________________
> Ruhr-Universität Bochum
> Universitätsstraße 150
> D-44780 Bochum
> http://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/relwiss/

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication ( and/or the attachments ) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.

Faites bonne impression et imprimez seulement au besoin !
Think green before you print !