[AUCTeX] Re: Automatically running makeindex

From: Joe Smith
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Automatically running makeindex
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:15:00 -0400

"Ralf Angeli" <address@hidden> wrote in message news:address@hidden
* Joe Smith (2009-08-28) writes:

From the AUCTeX manual section 3.2.1:
  If a latex run produces or changes input files
  for makeindex, the next suggestion will be to
  run that program, and AUCTeX knows that you
  need to run latex again afterwards-the same
  holds for BibTeX.

However, I cannot seem to get AUCTeX to ever suggest Index as the next
command to run. Further, I could not find any code in the source to do that
either. Is this not implemented? Was it previously implemented and then
removed?

It was probably wishful thinking of the author of the quick start guide.

But perhaps it would be a good idea to finally implement this.  I just
need a way to determine when to run makeindex.  It looks like LaTeX
writes the idx file on every run, even if the contents will stay the
same.  Despite of that I'd like to offer the Index command in AUCTeX
only if there was an actual change.  An idea could be to compare md5sums
of the file or its size before and after the LaTeX run.

That is a fairly reasonable way to do it. (The trick is not to forget that an index run is needed if something else is also needed).

In the alternative, I could just use the latexmk script, which is designed for the explicit purpose of running all needed commands in the correct order. The only downside is that I have no idea how well it works with AUCTeX, especially the LaTeX error handling.