Re: [AUCTeX] forcing view with xdvi

From: Matthew Bainbridge
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] forcing view with xdvi
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 23:27:15 +0100 (CET)

M-x customize-variable did the trick.  Thanks so much!

--Matt

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Ralf Angeli wrote:

* Matthew Bainbridge (2009-11-04) writes:

I don't think I'm using PSTricks, but the problem seems to be the psfrag
package.

Yes, psfrag is "supported" as well.

But if I comment out the \usepackage line, it uses xdvi.  Do you know if
it is possible to use psfrag and have xdvi function normally?

The idea is that if you use a package related to Postscript graphics,
you don't want to start a viewer which is not able to display such
graphics.  Under this assumption, starting dvips and gv would be
considered "normal".

If you don't want that, throw out the entries in `TeX-output-view-style'
which check for PSTricks packages and psfrag.  Either programmatically
like you do below or manually with `M-x customize-variable <RET> ...'.

Maybe there
is something screwy in my .emacs file.  The relevent part seems to be
this:

        (TeX-source-specials-mode 1)
        (setq TeX-source-specials-view-start-server t)
        ;; Special arguments to put XDVI in the correct place.
        (setq xdvi-extras
              (concat "-xoffset .35in -yoffset .4in "
                      "-s 4 -geometry 1800x1900+0+0"))
             ;; Add the above arguments to all instances of xdvi
        (unless (get 'TeX-output-view-style 'xdvi-extra)
          (mapcar (lambda (list)
                    (let ((func (nth 2 list)))
                      (if (string-match "xdvi" func)
                          (setq func
                                (replace-match
                                 (concat "\\& " xdvi-extras) t nil func)))
                      (setcar (last list) func)))
                  TeX-output-view-style)
          (put 'TeX-output-view-style 'xdvi-extra t))

Wow.