Re: [AUCTeX] Installing on Mac OS X 10.5 with self-contained Emacs 23.2

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Installing on Mac OS X 10.5 with self-contained Emacs 23.2
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 18:06:16 +0200

* Otto Maddox (2010-07-13) writes:

> I've installed Emacs 23.2 as a self-contained application (i.e., using
> --with-ns during configuration). So nothing weird. Now I'm having
> difficulty finding the right configure options for AUCTeX 11.86 . I
> tried "./configure
> --with-emacs=/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs" and got
>
> checking where lisp files go... configure: error: Cannot locate lisp
> directory,
> use  --with-lispdir, --datadir, or possibly --prefix to rectify this
>
> Why can't configure determine automatically where to put the lisp files,
> info documentation, etc?

Probably because none of the active AUCTeX developers owns a Mac.  But I
think even when installing for Emacs under Windows configure does not
find all directories by itself.  In the top-level Makefile of AUCTeX
there is a target for the precompiled AUCTeX package for Windows and the
configure call looks like this:

./configure --prefix=$(WBUILDDIR)/emacs-$(WEMACSVER) \
  --without-texmf-dir --with-emacs=$(WEMACS) \
  --with-lispdir=$(WBUILDDIR)/emacs-$(WEMACSVER)/site-lisp \
  --datarootdir=$(WBUILDDIR)/emacs-$(WEMACSVER) \

Something along those lines might work for you as well if you exchange
the variables with proper values for your system.