[AUCTeX] './configure' returns "error: make not found, aborting!"

From: In Uck Park
Subject: [AUCTeX] './configure' returns "error: make not found, aborting!"
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:39:49 +0100

I am trying to install auctex to Mac OS X 10.6.4 and having some trouble.
After installing MacTeX and Emacs 22.3.1, I downloaded auctex-11.86.tar.gz which appeared in the directory ~/Downloads. When I typed './configure' in that directory (using Terminal), an error message returned as below:

checking for make... no
configure: error: make not found, aborting!

Realizing that there was already an auctex directory under Emacs, i.e., /Applications/Emac.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex, I typed './configure' in that directory only to get " ./configure: No such file or directory ". So, I replaced the contents of this directory with the newly downloaded auctex-11.86. Then, the configure command returned the first error message above again.

What am I doing wrong? (I followed the instruction at AUCTeX website, but I am new to this so maybe missing something obvious.)

In-Uck