Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Language support

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: Language support
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:19:36 +0200

* Mathias Lindner (2010-10-07) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <angeli <at> caeruleus.net> writes:
>
>> The .rel file is produced and used only by RefTeX, not AUCTeX.
>
> Ok, but how does AucTeX know which language to support if it doesn't use the
> parsed information from the header file?

AUCTeX saves the parsing information in an "auto" directory if
`TeX-auto-save' is t.  In multifile documents the connection between
included files and the master file is established with file variables,
as desribed in (info "(auctex)Multifile") <-- Type `C-x C-e' here.

>> Did you make the settings in your init file which are advertised on the
>> first page of the AUCTeX manual?
>
> You mean
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> ?
>
> Yes, I did.

And there are `TeX-master' file variables pointing to the master file in
all relevant files?

It would help if you could provide a test case to reproduce the problem.
This could be two minimal LaTeX files and information in which
directories they are stored.

> If it helps in any way, here is my complete .emacs file (sorry, comments are
> partially in German):
[...]
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

You load preview-latex, but it looks like you never load AUCTeX.  Is it
loaded in a site startup file?