[AUCTeX] auto directory created with .el file when saving a bib file?

From: Vinh Nguyen
Subject: [AUCTeX] auto directory created with .el file when saving a bib file?
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 08:03:42 -0700

Dear AucTeX list,

First of all, thank you for a wonderful package.  I've been using it
in the last 5 years of graduate school, and will probably continue to
use it for the rest of my professional career.  Now, onto my question.

Suppose I edit a file AuthorYearTitle.bib in emacs with AucTeX.  As
soon as I save the file, a directory called "auto" gets created in the
working directory, with a file "AuthorYearTitle.el" in it.  In the
file, the content is:
(TeX-add-style-hook "AuthorYearTitle"
 (lambda ()
    (LaTeX-add-bibitems)))

Why is this directory and file being created?  What is its use?  Since
so far, I have no use for it, is there a way to disable this feature?
I googled many times but could not find any documentation on this.

I assume it's from AucTeX since this does not happen if I use "emacs
-q" (no init file).

Thank you for your time.
-- Vinh