Re: [AUCTeX] RefTeX: What is the recommended version?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] RefTeX: What is the recommended version?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:54:10 +0100

Uwe Siart <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Uwe,

> because the AUCTeX website says that RefTeX is maintained by the
> AUCTeX project I dare to ask here:
>
> I wonder what/where is the latest/best version of RefTeX? RefTeX comes
> bundled with Emacs 24.2 released 08/2012. "C-h v reftex-version RET"
> shows me "4.31". At <http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/reftex.html>
> in contrast I see v4.34 dating 2009.
>
> So which one is more recent? Which one is recommended for use?

Use the version bundled with emacs.

We used to have a separate reftex CVS repository which was then synced
to the emacs bzr repository.  This was a manual procedure, and of course
there was a need to sync from reftex CVS to emacs bzr and also the other
direction.  So, really a big pain in the ass. ;-)

Lately, Ralf synced all remaining changes form reftex CVS to emacs bzr,
and we've decided to discontinue the separate reftex CVS.  When emacs
24.3 is going to be released, it will contain the most recent reftex
version you can get (except for the version in emacs trunk).  In that,
`reftex-version' is set to `emacs-version', too.

Bye,
Tassilo