Re: [AUCTeX] AucTex and custom fmt files

From: Christophe Jorssen
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] AucTex and custom fmt files
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 16:09:11 +0200

2013/5/29 Julien Cubizolles <address@hidden>:
> I have some tex files using custom format files. Here is the general
> structure:

> %&../../../vuistand-fmt
> \documentclass{standalone}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{tikzpicture}
>   some tikz code
> \end{tikzpicture}
> \end{document}
>
> % Local Variables:
> % coding: utf-8
> % End:
>
> I can compile it with pdflatex but C-c C-c LaTeX complains that the
> tikzpicture environment is not defined: the vuistand-fmt custom format
> file is not read.
>
> I didn't find anything related to format files in the AucTeX
> documentation. How do I tell it to read a given fmt file ?

This kind of file uses a trick with web2c implementation of TeX. If
%&-line parsing is enabled, pdfTeX parses the first line. If it begins
with %&, it interprets the remaining of the file as parameter for the
command line (namely the format file).

If AucTeX calls pdfTeX with something like

pdflatex \input{youfile.tex}

then the trick is broken.

Best

--