Re: [AUCTeX] [preview-latex] Play nice with fill-paragraph and/or auto-f

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] [preview-latex] Play nice with fill-paragraph and/or auto-fill-mode or longlines-mode
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:49:19 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> We had similar discussions in the history of preview-latex.
> Ultimately, something like
>
>>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur $\int_0^t x^2
>>> + x dx$ veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco.
>
> looks incredibly ugly in its source anyway, so the focus moved to make
> AUCTeX filling nicer.  As a result, you are usually better off
> customizing LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators, and then have refilling
> make the line look nicer even before preview-latex gets to work.
>
> It turns out that LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators is nil by default.
> That's a bad default I think.  My personal setting is
> '({ } \\\( \\\) \\\[ \\\]) and that does a much better job of formatting
> the original line in an amicable manner that also looks good after
> preview-latex did its job.

I didn't know `LaTeX-fill-break-at-separators' until now.  I've changed
its default to include all math switches but not braces and brackets.
The former seems very plausible to me while the latter seems to be a bit
more of a personal preference.

And indeed, that solves Johannes original question in a very nice way.

Bye,
Tassilo