[AUCTeX] AUCTEX with multiple modes

From: Tamas Papp
Subject: [AUCTeX] AUCTEX with multiple modes
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:59:03 +0100

Hi,

After playing around with emaxima-mode (a mode that extends AUCTeX to
mix in Maxima code that can be evaluated, it has not been mainteined for
a while) I came to the conclusion that getting a comfy environment out
of it would involve a lot of hacking. For example, to support M-;, I
need to implement my own comment function that checks if I am in a
maxima environment, and dispatch to comment-dwim accordingly (either
LaTeX-style % comments or Maxima-style /* */ comments). I would need to
do this for other functionality (font locking, indentation, etc) and it
would involve a lot of boilerplate code. So I am exploring other
solutions, and I came across Multiple Modes [1].

I notice that there are several implementations. Is there one which is
preferred for AUCTeX? Can someone please direct me to an example of
multiple modes in AUCTeX?

Best,

Tamas

[1] http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultipleModes